The Get Online project was designed to inform and encourage individuals who were not connected to the Internet, and had limited or no experience using the Internet, to go online and get connected.
Today’s society is modern, networked and increasingly dependent on computer access and an assumed level of computer literacy. Not having access or not being computer literate is a significant disadvantage in society. The consequences of lack of connectivity include:
- Limited social connectivity
- Reduced access to services, particularly education, health, employment support
- Limited access to information
- Increased disengagement from society
The Get Online project aimed to encourage individuals to get online through educational face-to-face workshops and a specially designed booklet outlining the basics or a ‘how to’ guide of getting connected.
Get Online was successful in its aim to introduce disadvantaged Australians, who were not yet connected, to the benefits of the Internet. Project achievements are outlined below:
- Partnerships were formed with organisations which aided the program roll-out on a national scale
- A uniquely designed booklet to educate and encourage individuals to get connected was developed and distributed to 15,000 individuals across Australia
- Face-to-face sessions were organised and facilitated in both NSW and the Northern Territory reaching 352 people.
How were obstacles overcome?
Some obstacles or difficulties were encountered along the way, specifically:
- Logistical and financial constraints meant WorkVentures were only able to deliver face-to-face sessions in NSW and NT. However, they were still able to reach their goal of 350 individuals.
- Implementation delays - the distribution of the booklet was delayed due to the delay in the release of a Government publication, in which the project was to be featured. This resulted in a delay to the distribution, due to having to identify alternative distribution avenues.
A PDF of the booklet can be downloaded at: http://www.workventures.com.au/images/content/Get%20Online%20booklet.pdf